ludham archive

     Memories Photo Album

Back to Photographs

A collection of black and white photographs from the village.

Thrower's shop and house in the early 20th Century with Mr and Mrs A T Thrower and Miss Daisy Bowers

Albert (Knacky) Knights and his daughter outside the shop in 1956. The shop used to be a saddlers but changed to more general hardware as people stopped using horses. Albert was well known for telling tall stories to holiday makers from boats.

The Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel built in 1821 and demolished in 1975

Outside Grace Lyon's shop. the girl in the cart is the late Constance Wright of Horning Hall. Mazawattee was a brand of tea.

Unveiling the new village sign in 1970 with Pop Snelling (designer),  Phillip Sayer (sculptor), Cyril Thrower (chair Ludham Parish Council) and The Hon Pamela Walpole (chair of Smallbourough Rural District Council). The sign later suffered from rot and was moulded and replaced in fibreglass by Mike Fuller.

Restored cottages on Norwich Road in 1970.

vicarage etc
This house has been many contrasting things. It was the vicarage for 50 years in the 19th Century. Then it became the Spread Eagle Pub and in 1900 a temperance hotel. The low building next door was a communal bakehouse. It became a fish and chip shop in World War II.

from tower
The view from the church tower in 1937

old staithe
Staithe House and the old Parish Staithe. the wherry is the Early Bird
Robert Harrison's boatyard. Womack Water 1881. The large quantity of weed shows how the water quality has changed.

Ludham Hall
Ludham Hall about 1910. Shows Harsnett's chapel of 1867 and the rear of the 1558 hall. Now Ludham Hall Farm.

The old vicarage in 1967 (now a nursing home). It was built on glebe land in 1858 at a cost of £820.

Ludham Manor

Bakers Arms
The Baker's Arms in 1959 not long before it was demolished as part of the road widening scheme

Back to Photographs